A Vibe To Remember


Eid, for me, is by far the best time of the year. If I could live one day of my life over and over again (for the rest of my life), it would be this day. I personally prefer Eid-ul-Adha, albeit the lack of gift money, because of the vibe and atmosphere that is evident in the air. It's as if every bone in your body has been filled with life. The feeling is one that can either only be experienced, or, if you have an active imagination, is similar to when you have a life-changing opportunity that you have desired all your life. For me, that opportunity lies in the slaughtering of the sheep and oxen, as well as the glorious farm vibes.

I grew up in a tiny town in the countryside but I was more of a city girl than a farm girl. I hated moths, insects, dogs and playing outside. As a matter of fact, I still dislike a lot of these things, except it is more of a love-hate relationship at the moment. Still, the environment I grew up in moulded me into a lover of farms and a lover of nature's vibes. Even though I am not athletic or particularly into 'playing' outside, I love sitting in the outdoors, and just breathing in the cool morning air that smells like freshly mowed grass and dew drops. Yet, Eid Day brings out the wild child in me; the girl that wants to climb gates (a particularly pleasing activity, I have discovered) and smear herself in blood (who needs Mary Jo K when you have bull's blood?).

Many readers might be grimacing at the thought of poor sheep and cows being slaughtered by teens and adults alike. While I won't go into in depth arguments, can I just state that this is a well-performed procedure that is done to feed your family and the poor, alongside teaching sacrifice, unlike the KFC and McDonalds you so eagerly bite into. And yes, I won't deny it, for most first timers it is nauseating and disgusting, but once you get used to it, it feels as normal as eating bread.

With Eid, it isn't only the quiet inner melody of nature that makes your heart sing, but also the din and hubbub of cutting the bull and meeting new people and old friends. For example, today I was at a farm where they drop the bull down from a metal box (it is quite difficult to explain, but bear with me) and the bull was a wild, uncooperative and put up a good fight. Keeping the animal down was a hassle on its own, and once the knife sliced through its throat, it grew mad with rage. Although it was unable to get up, it lashed out, kicking and snorting as it threw the people near it right into the corners. The slaughtering wasn't complete yet, and it took skill to set the bull's head down again to cut it, which required lots of jumping and pulling and might I just add, bravery, because I would have run for my life if I was involved in any aspect of it. Yet, rapid heart beats and blood splattered clothes all contributed to the amazing atmosphere that it is almost too fearfully and wonderfully thrilling to explain. 

In my next post I will be talking about the 'Eid Day Contemplations' that occurred to me while I was in the shower that night, followed by a post about my Eid outfit, the food and a few bonus features.

For now,
Au Revoir

Comments

Popular Posts