Eid Day Contemplations

I feel like every girl finds some sort of solace and tranquility when she stands under the shower.Its as if clarity can be found within the warm waters and all your problems are washed away. It is safe to say that the shower is the amongst the most welcoming places on Earth. That's why, on Eid night, I decided to take a long hot shower for peace of mind.

School. Its one place that everyone hates going to, but when you have to write a test the day after Eid, your hate turns into bitter anger and loathing. I felt like stabbing someone, not only because it stole the pleasure out of Eid and made me a victim of school-night sleeping times, but also because it led to me stressing immensely about the upcoming test that I had so nonchalantly failed to study for.

"Why?" I thought. "Why do I have to slave away at school and have anxiety attacks (in a figurative sense) and want to murder people (more figurative) and sleep through the day (extremely literal)?It's not fair!!!"

My anger subsided whilst I took my shower though, because I began to contemplate on what life really meant to me, and why I, personally have so much to be grateful for. This might sound like I am about to go off in a tangent about how so many people don't have food and education, but quite honestly, this is a ranting appreciation post. The shower cooled me down, but didn't wash away my hatred for school and my terrible attitude.

At school we had been reading a book called 'Walk Two Moons' and one quote from that book stuck with me.

"In the course of a lifetime, what does it matter." Because really, the fact that I didn't study for my test won't really matter when I sit my children down for supper 10 years down the line. It won't matter when I'm with my friends after Matric just discussing how we've changed. It won't matter on a rainy Monday morning when I hold two tiny hands in mine and we splash through puddles and dirty ourselves with mud. One mark won't matter. When you are about to get married, no one will ask you for your portfolio. When you are on a plane to Neverland, no one will say, "Ma'am, I need your report card." Right now it might matter, but we have sheltered ourselves from the bigger picture by staring at the one dark hole that we consider to be life.

Yet, what will really matter? For me, the memories that I make on Eid Day and with my family are what I remember. When I sit with knitting needles on a rocking chair one day, I want to be able to tell my grandchildren that I explored the wilderness, was drenched in blood from time to time, and really seized life by the horns (an intentional pun related to Eid that you probably missed.) So what if I fail? At least I spent my day climbing fences and cutting sheep rather than buried in a textbook like the norms of society demand teenagers to do today.

Another epiphany, if you can call it that, that occurred to me under those heavenly sprinklers, was that I wanted every day to be Eid Day. I wanted every day to be a day when I could sit outside and splash in mud and get myself dirty and really not care about whether my mascara is Maybelline or blood. I want to be carefree and breathe in the amazing air of the countryside and farmlands, untainted by the hands of man. I realised that even though I am not a tomboy or a fan of the outdoors, I am a lover of the outdoors and I am proud to say that I was raised a country girl. I might look like a city chick to most people, but nothing makes me feel more alive than the farm life vibes. And that's why, Eid-ul-Adha will always be the most fantastic day on the calendar. I hope and pray that this atmosphere does not die down in the coming years because every child, regardless of their generation, deserves to feel a little bit of country magic and taste a piece of heaven on Earth.

Au Revoir
Sumayya

Comments

Popular Posts